Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Walk on the ' Wilde' Side

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."--Oscar Wilde

Lady Hawthorne of Canterbury Cottage hand-lettered, collaged, and framed that quote for me several years ago as a Christmas gift. She knew that Mr. Wilde is my touchstone when it comes to the creative pursuit of writing. This little treasure hangs on my studio wall just across from my cyber alcove where I can see and read it clearly.

It is also a mantra whenever I go shopping--whether in craft cathedrals or garage sales. Helps to allay any concerns I may have about whether the purchase is justified. It is good to have people in your life who understand you.

One more for the road: "I put all my genius into my life, I put only my talent into my works."--Oscar Wilde

I wish you all abundant life and work.

9 comments:

  1. "Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Now this is the best advise I have heard in a long time and I guess we have not been letting our imagination lack or suffer. I may have to start reading some Oscar Wilde!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? What? No photograph of the art?

    Oscar was Wilde but Thornton was Wilder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reminded recently by one of the others that received one of those hand lettered quotes how much they like theirs too.
    Wish we could go shopping together again and I love the phrase 'craft cathedral'...it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maine Homestead: I always recommend reading Oscar Wilde--whether you agree with his opinions or not they are always amusing and thought provoking. A very, very clever man.

    June: Sorry. Don't own a digital camera--wouldn't know how to work it either. I'm still trying to decipher mysteries of the microwave. Oscar and Thornton--I've never heard that! I love it!! Is it one of yours?

    Lady H.: Dear Heart, I would love to enjoy the pleasure of shopping with you again, too. So many treasures, so little time. Craft Cathedrals--holy shrines of creative possibilities and spiritual expression. Hobby Lobby is Mecca.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope, not mine. Read in The New Yorker circa 1964, along with "Dame Mae was Witty, but John Greenleaf was Whittier." :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh very entertaining people!Or as Mae West said "Too much of a good thing can be wonderful." I fully endorse the sentiment and try to live it to the best of my ability.It has been hard at times when the demons pop up, but they're very sad these days.
    Thought of you today LW outside an Antique Shop I really wanted to visit. Closed but I'll go back for the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. June--Dame Witty--I just love that old girl. The quintessential English grandmama. I loved her in the Hitchcock film 'The Lady Vanishes' I would have loved visiting her for tea in the garden.

    Von--It is always pleasant to know you're being thought of. Unfortunately we have very few antiques shops around here because no one ever gets rid of anything. Tag sales are my only avenue of treasure hunting. Give those demons a run for their money and eat life's banquet all the way to the poor house!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just saw it!! Awesome! I feel famous.

    ReplyDelete