Friday, October 2, 2009

Autumnal Rapture and a Poem

Maine is at the zenith of her beauty during this time of year. During the day she's wrapped in a cloak covered in amber and ruby, citrine and topaz, garnet and gold. The landscape dazzles against a sapphire sky. At night she's all black velvet and diamonds. It is good to be home again.

What follows is a little something that came to me after taking a star-studded stroll last night. I can't say I had anything particular in mind as I wrote it down. I certainly didn't feel as dark as the poem turned out. Must be the Stephen King effect on Maine in October. I think it's in the water.



Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Irony


The stars
are made of all
we wish for--
the wants, desires
from all nations, faiths,
and generations--
that are beyond our owning.

They glitter,
shine and sparkle--leading us on
teasing, taunting,
reminding us what it is
to be human.

Resolutely
we gaze skyward
seeking fulfillment from
their pulsing indifference--
like them, bright and burning.

No empathy emanates from the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment